Congregation Schomre Israel
Welcome to Congregation Schomre Israel, a modern orthodox synagogue located in Poughkeepsie, New York in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley.
To see the shul's mission statement click here.
Programs & Events
Chanukah is Almost Here
The Sisterhood's annual Chanukah dinner will take place on Sunday, December 25, 2016 at 5:00 pm. For more information and pricing details click here.
Thirty-Forth Hamentashen Sale
For the 34th year the Sisterhood will be baking and selling hamentashen. In each of the past years they have produced between 8000-8500 hamentashen annually. To check prices, available flavors and applicable dates please check here. To order just print the order form and complete as described on the form.
Saturday Night Movie Series Returns
Movie night series continues Saturday, December 17th at 7:00pm with the movie "Keeping the Faith" starring Ben Stiller and Edward Norton. There is a nominal $5 fee and refreshments will be available. This event is open to the entire community.
Rabbi's Classes for the Fall
Rabbi Langer will begin his weekly Tuesday 10:30 am classes on November 1st. On November 3rd he will begin his Thursday 7:00 pm classes. Click here to see the dates and subjects of each class. Please note that the Tuesday and Thursday classes have been switched.
* Every Monday, at 6 PM, May through September, a small group of dedicated men and women gather in the chapel to study and share ideas. The group has discussed the journey of the Israelites from the death of Moses to the death of King Solomon. Class discussion will continue with the plight of the tribes as the North and the South struggle for supremacy. Evelyn and David Horowitz will facilitate the discussion.
At 7 PM, David will continue teaching Hebrew language (prerequisite : class of 2015 ). Evelyn will continue teaching "Improving Hebrew reading skills", using the prayerbook. Classes begin on May 9 ...all classes are free and open to the Jewish community.
For information, please call Dr. David Horowitz (845) 452-5969 after April 10.
* Bingo is played every Wednesday night at 7:00 pm. Doors open at 4:00 pm.
* The Private Herman Siegel Post 625 of the Jewish War Veterans of the United States holds its monthly meeting on the first Sunday of each month, at 9:30 am at the shul. For more information please contact the Post Commander, Robert L. Morrison at email@example.com.
* Rabbi Langer's has a weekly class on Thursday nights at 7:00 pm. To listen to classes already held in this series click here.
* On Tuesday mornings at 10:30 am Rabbi Langer presents a Torah Study class. To hear classes already held click here.
Recent Programs & Events
Saturday Night at the Movies
The last movie in the shul's Saturday Night at the Movies springl series was - Gentleman's Agreement. Check this site for the schedule of the next series in the fall.
Shabbat Across America
On March 4, 2016 the shul joined with many shuls across America to celebrate Shabbat Across America.
Annual Hamentashen Sale
The Sisterhood has completed their 33rd year of making hamentashen for sale as part of their fund raising efforts. This year they produced 8500 hamentashen.
Hamentashen pickup was Sunday, March 13th.
Annual Chanukah Dinner
This year's dinner was held on the 7th night of Chanukah, Sunday, December 13, 2015. Click here to see pictures from the dinner.
NYC Bus Trip to Jewish Museums and Janina Synagogue
Jewish Heritage Night at the Ballpark
Jewish Heritage night was held on August 23rd at Dutchess Stadium. Click here to see pictures from the event.
Jewish History Classes
The history classes by Rabbi Langer are completed and you can hear the transcripts of each of the classes by clicking here.