Congregation Schomre Israel
Welcome to Congregation Schomre Israel, a modern orthodox synagogue located in Poughkeepsie, New York in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley.
To see the shul's mission statement click here.
Programs & Events
Annual Purim dinner will be on March 12th. For more details and pricing please click here.
Thirty-Forth Hamentashen Sale
For the 34th year the Sisterhood will be baking and selling hamentashen. In each of the past years they have produced between 8000-8500 hamentashen annually. To check prices, available flavors and applicable dates please check here. To order just print the order form and complete as described on the form.
Saturday Night Movie Schedule
Saturday night movie series schedule is shown below. Each show begins at 7:00pm and there is a nominal $5 fee, with refreshments included.
1. January 21 - Shalom Aleichem
2. February 18 - The Princess Bride
3. March 18 - Keeping the Faith
Rabbi's Classes for the Fall
Rabbi Langer will begin his weekly Tuesday 10:30 am classes on November 1st. On November 3rd he will begin his Thursday 7:00 pm classes. Click here to see the dates and subjects of each class. Please note that the Tuesday and Thursday classes have been switched.
* Every Monday, at 6 PM, May through September, a small group of dedicated men and women gather in the chapel to study and share ideas. The group has discussed the journey of the Israelites from the death of Moses to the death of King Solomon. Class discussion will continue with the plight of the tribes as the North and the South struggle for supremacy. Evelyn and David Horowitz will facilitate the discussion.
At 7 PM, David will continue teaching Hebrew language (prerequisite : class of 2015 ). Evelyn will continue teaching "Improving Hebrew reading skills", using the prayerbook. Classes begin on May 9 ...all classes are free and open to the Jewish community.
For information, please call Dr. David Horowitz (845) 452-5969 after April 10.
* Bingo is played every Wednesday night at 7:00 pm. Doors open at 4:00 pm.
* The Private Herman Siegel Post 625 of the Jewish War Veterans of the United States holds its monthly meeting on the first Sunday of each month, at 9:30 am at the shul. For more information please contact the Post Commander, Robert L. Morrison at email@example.com.
* Rabbi Langer's has a weekly class on Thursday nights at 7:00 pm. To listen to classes already held in this series click here.
* On Tuesday mornings at 10:30 am Rabbi Langer presents a Torah Study class. To hear classes already held click here.
Recent Programs & Events
The Sisterhood's annual Chanukah dinner took place on Sunday, December 25, 2016 . For pictures from the dinner click here. Shown below is Srully Wulliger performing at the dinner.
Shabbat Across America
On March 4, 2016 the shul joined with many shuls across America to celebrate Shabbat Across America.
Annual Chanukah Dinner 2015
This year's dinner was held on the 7th night of Chanukah, Sunday, December 13, 2015. Click here to see pictures from the dinner.
NYC Bus Trip to Jewish Museums and Janina Synagogue
Jewish Heritage Night at the Ballpark
Jewish Heritage night was held on August 23rd at Dutchess Stadium. Click here to see pictures from the event.
Jewish History Classes
The history classes by Rabbi Langer are completed and you can hear the transcripts of each of the classes by clicking here.