Congregation Schomre Israel
Welcome to Congregation Schomre Israel, a modern orthodox synagogue located in Poughkeepsie, New York in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley.
To see the shul's mission statement click here.
Programs & Events
Rabbi Langer's weekly Tuesday classes continue at 10:30 am and his Thursday classes at 7:00 pm. To listen to classes already held click here.
* Every Monday, at 6 PM, May through September, a small group of dedicated men and women gather in the chapel to study and share ideas. The group has discussed the journey of the Israelites from the death of Moses to the death of King Solomon. Class discussion will continue with the plight of the tribes as the North and the South struggle for supremacy. Evelyn and David Horowitz will facilitate the discussion.
At 7 PM, David will continue teaching Hebrew language (prerequisite : class of 2015 ). Evelyn will continue teaching "Improving Hebrew reading skills", using the prayerbook. Classes begin on May 9 ...all classes are free and open to the Jewish community.
For information, please call Dr. David Horowitz (845) 452-5969 after April 10.
* Bingo is played every Wednesday night at 7:00 pm. Doors open at 4:00 pm.
* The Private Herman Siegel Post 625 of the Jewish War Veterans of the United States holds its monthly meeting on the first Sunday of each month, at 9:30 am at the shul. For more information please contact the Post Commander, Robert L. Morrison at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recent Programs & Events
Yom Hashoah Program and Service
This program was held on Sunday, April 23rd at 7:00pm. More detail is available here.
Sisterhood sold Floral centerpieces for the 2017 Passover holiday.
Saturday/Sunday Night Movie Schedule
Saturday/Sunday night movie series for the winter has been completed. Below are the films featured during the series.
1. January 21 - Shalom Aleichem
2. February 18 - The Princess Bride
3. March 19 - Keeping the Faith
Purim Dinner 2017
The annual Purim dinner was held on March 12th. For pictures from the dinner please click here.
The Sisterhood's annual Chanukah dinner took place on Sunday, December 25, 2016 . For pictures from the dinner click here. Shown below is Srully Wulliger performing at the dinner.
Shabbat Across America
On March 4, 2016 the shul joined with many shuls across America to celebrate Shabbat Across America.
Rabbi Yerachmiel Seplowitz - April 2, 2017
Rabbi Gedalyah Berger - March 5, 2017
Rabbi Dovid Cohen - January 31, 2016
Rabbi Shmuel Schneid - February 14, 2016
Rabbi Eichanan Zohn - March 6, 2016
Annual Chanukah Dinner 2015
This year's dinner was held on the 7th night of Chanukah, Sunday, December 13, 2015. Click here to see pictures from the dinner.
NYC Bus Trip to Jewish Museums and Janina Synagogue
Jewish Heritage Night at the Ballpark
Jewish Heritage night was held on August 23rd at Dutchess Stadium. Click here to see pictures from the event.